1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Upfront fares - Uber's new way of short changing drivers.

Discussion in 'Australia | Ola Forum' started by Uberx zoom, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Uber upfront fares are a 15%-20% pay cut to drivers masquerading as a "system enhancement".

We are receivng dozens of emails from drivers with clear evidence of intentional fare "miscalculations", off by as much as 30% of what a fare should have been, and often missing tolls. Uber support seems not interested.

RSDU recommends that where possible drivers should start paying less attention to the Uber app and take more bookings from all other rideshare operators available in their city.

Drivers! Double check all your fares. We have found surge fares are particularly bad where we have seen evidence of Uber undercutting drivers by up to 30% off normal fare prices. We find this appalling!

We have launched an online gross fare calculator to help you check your fares quickly. A standalone Android version of this calculator is also avialable for download on Google app store.

The online Uber fare calculator can be found here:
    http://ridesharedriversunited.com/uber-driver-gross-fare-calculator/

Have you been grossly short changed on your Uber fares lately?... RSDU are now in the process of collecting evidence in prepration for action and we would like to hear from you. Please contact us here:
    http://ridesharedriversunited.com/contact-us/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    eXploitation and Moober68 like this.
  2. Moober68

Moober68 Active Member

Nice tool, thank Max! You are always looking after us :D

Uberx zoom likes this.
  3. Uberx zoom

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

By Edmund Burke.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    eXploitation likes this.
  4. Derek

Derek New Member

I had one passenger I picked up on Ola tell me Uber has become more expensive since the fixed price fare.

What you have to be careful of is if the rider asks to make another stop and they haven't put that in the job you need them to add that stop otherwise you will be short changed.

5. Derek

Derek New Member

Last night picked up a rider from Viveash going to Northbridge. When we got as far as Guildford she realized she forgot her cigarettes so I had to turn back.

At the end of the trip looking at the minutes travelled and km it looked like the detour was not factored in the payment. I was paid $20.89 for 22.82 km travelled and the trip took 29.37 minutes.

Got the usual garble from Uber and I pushed until I got a clear answer and in the end the Uber staffer said the detour was NOT A SIGNIFICANT DETOUR.

I used Google maps to calculate the distance and it was 3km each way meaning I travelled an extra 6km and according to Uber, this is not a significant detour.

Are you kidding me? I could have and should have insisted the rider change the trip back to her home and add an extra stop to her final destination but because she was going to work I didn't want to cause her any stress and was relying on Uber to recalculate the trip.

They are scumbags there is no other way of putting it.

Adrian likes this.
  6. Uberx zoom

I am sorry to hear that mate.

You are best to ask the passenger to change the destination address the next time this happen. Or simply switch to the competition and take pings from other operators available in your city. Your description of Uber mentality (when it comes to reviewing misculculated upfront fares) is quite correct.

7. Derek

Derek New Member

I usually do get the passenger to add stops but on this occasion I thought complicated because she would be putting her pick up address as the first stop. See what I mean? Anyway worth the excercise to prove to myself what a lying bunch of scumbags Uber are.

In regards using other platforms. I was using Ola for about 2 months. Hit a kangaroo on Roe hwy and when I swapped the car over I discovered we can't change vehicles with Ola at the moment. Very bloody frustrating

Busibee and Uberx zoom like this.
  8. Uberx zoom

Hopfully Ola will get it sorted soon, keep emailing support.

9. river view

river view Member

Hi UberX, thanks for the online tool and taking up the issue with Uber.

I have asked for fare review on a common fare error due to Fixed Price Fare and just get standard reply from Uber. The problem is when rider selects Sydney Airport and actually needs to go to Domestic terminal 2 or 3. Domestic 2 and 3 is 3.5 and 3.8km respectively further when travelling in from South/ South West of the airport.

I wrote my own "Numbers" spread sheet (Mac and iPhone) to test the Uber "on average fixed price fares are fair" advice. Only checked 2 days so far.
    Sunday 13/5 Gross Fare variation is down $12.72.
    Monday 14/5 Gross Fare variation is up $4.16.
    All together thats $8.56 down.

I will try and get about 2 weeks data in and see how that goes.

RV

Uberx zoom likes this.
  10. I had about 10 examples like this that occurred in the first week where I was paid 15 to 30% less than what I should have been paid they often said that the amount was insignificant so I asked the customer service person to put that money into my account from her paycheck. The other issue to be aware of was when a customer wanted to avoid the $7.30 Eastern distributor toll and Uber calculated the fair as if I had scooted through at 80 km/h instead of being stuck in Friday evening traffic. Because all they did was subtract $7.31 from the customers original estimate. I took great pleasure in removing my Uber sticker and putting an ola sticker in its place

Uberx zoom and DriverX like this.
  11. OPA1622

OPA1622 New Member

Remember you can change the destination yourself in the app without having to get the rider to do it. I add all variations from a direct route in. It should then revert to time distance.

Uberx zoom and DriverX like this.
  12. DriverX

DriverX Active Member

Not always the case mate. The passanger must change the address to "guarantee" the fare revert back to time distance. That has been my experiance anyway.

Uberx zoom likes this.
  13. Derek

Derek New Member

I don't like the paid fare calculator it doesn't have the rates in there in each city. I have requested a refund unless you are going to put the rates in for each city.

Also let's be honest, I don't like fixed rates either and have vented this several times directly with Uber but I have found on many occasions I have been both underpaid and over paid. So both riders and drivers are being ripped off. And riders I have spoken to don't like fixed price rides either.

14. Uberx zoom

You can find the base raters for your zone by looking at the waybill within the Uber app. The waybill link is available while on a trip and will list the flag-fall, price per minute and price per KM (that Uber will "supposedly" pay for the trip).

15. Derek

Derek New Member

I know what our rates are but that's not what I expected when I purchased the rideshare calculator. I also want to see the rates in other states.

16. Uberx zoom

Try Google.