1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Almost a third of Brisbane Uber drivers unemployed before signing up

Discussion in 'Brisbane | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Uberx zoom, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Riders Champion likes this.
  2. Riders Champion

Riders Champion Well-Known Member

Unemployed means roughly $1200 per month in benefits.

Unemployed and part time Ubering would be around the same if they want to keep getting benefits. For arguments sake, lets make it $1200-2000 per month.

The government want unemployed off of welfare altogether, so for that Uber driving as a sole occupation will need to rake in $4000 per month at least.

Unemployed who do not receive any benefits either because they never applied or just aren't entitled due to the assets means test are not included in these wild assumptions of mine.

I think it's great to see the unemployed attempt to earn a living through Uber driving. If anything, it should reduce the Government's welfare bill while increase tax revenue (mainly gst).

3. eXploitation

eXploitation Active Member

If they were getting it why would they lose it dollar for dollar doing goobers?
    Is that what it ends up doing?

4. Riders Champion

WE ARE THE UNDER-EMPLOYED.

The reality is that you are better off aiming at the high range of part-timer earnings, around the $1,200-$1,800 per week or more.

To get welfare, you have to do way less, almost to the level where you are intentionally not taking long trips. Can you believe that?

Here's my calculations, when I was considering it - epic fail (add in rent assistance $100-200, family benefits $50-200, or any other benefits that apply to you... as this is just cold hard dole)

$636 a fortnight
    $104 Uber driving per fortnight ($52 per week)
    $536 Centerlink

$713 a fortnight
    $250 Uber driving per fortnight ($125 per week)
    $463 Centerlink

$780 a fortnight
    $392 Uber driving per fortnight (~$200 per week)
    $388 Centerlink

$1,036 a fortnight
    $1036 Uber driving per fortnight (~$500 per week)
    NO CENTERLINK

$3,000 a fortnight
    $3000 Uber per fortnight ($1500 per week)
    NO CENTERLINK

Full-time drivers will earn more than this, aim for $4,000-5,000 per fortnight.

Unless you are a machine like ExCabbie Singh who does $6,000-7,000 per fortnight. But wait, he said he couldn't maintain that level of intensity week in week out. So I suppose he is more towards the $5,500 average threshold.

5. Riders Champion

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!!

These days with Centerlink they are onto all those kents who work their ass off for a fortnight (eg. ExCabbie Singh does $7,000 in a fortnight), and then decides to take the following fortnight OFF, in order to collect the $536 Centerlink. He just gets nothing from Centerlink for the fortnight where he reported above threshold earnings.

Many people on the pension have been doing this for decades. Good on them for rorting the system in a legal way. When you're old, you shouldn't have to work yourself to the bone. Lots of time off is how it should be.

Anyway, for anyone who isn't old (like retirement age old), they have this added system in place to deal with Uber drivers, Airbnb Hosts and anyone else taking part in the gig economy or sharing economy as they like to call it.

That is...

The above system does not apply.

YOU DO NOT REPORT your income every fortnight.

INSTEAD, they look at your PROFIT AND LOSS statement for running your own business (as that's what we are, sole traders), and then they work out your average fortnightly income over a period of 3-12 months, and then that's the figure they use.

Very smart, Mr Government. I completely approve of this new process.

Sucks though for us. We can't rort the system in this way.

But there will be other ways. Feel free to share.

6. eXploitation

eXploitation Active Member

I was thinking dole for the single person for my question

I havent been down that track for a very long time but my partner was paid six hundred bucks a week in effective vslue when it was worth double what it is now
    And all it took was me to declare up to $25k a year and no more
    No impact at all below that and it was mainly doing taxi driving

You could do the same thing with goober but with less bang for your buck
    At least you can claim away the full value of the car for no loss of benefits effectively for nothing

Everybody else doing this going to find it untenable unless youre holed up in the back room at mums just kicking it

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017