1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Booking fee

Discussion in 'Perth | Uber Drivers Forum' started by It's a scam, May 29, 2017.

1. It's a scam

It's a scam New Member

uber reckons that the new booking fee won't affect drivers pay, are they totally thick or just plain stupid? Of course it will affect the pay because driver will be paying gst on it. Up goes your gst bill down goes your pay.

Uberx zoom likes this.
  2. HumungousDill

HumungousDill Active Member

My understanding is that they charge the pax 55c, all of which does to the driver. Then they will take 50c from the driver leaving 5c to cover the GST component so as to not leave the driver out of pocket.

To me the booking fee is no more than an increase on tbe commision they already take and is wrong because they are already taking too much.

But I'm also wondering why tbey dont treat the commision the same way ie take less than the 20% (or 25% for newer drivers) so that the GST component is left with the driver to forward to the ATO. ? I appear to be missing something.

Aujezza and Uberx zoom like this.
  3. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

As HD has mentioned, the booking fee is 55 cents charged to the passenger on top of the fare costs and passed to the driver. Uber then collects from the driver 50 cents leaving the driver with 5 cents to pay for the GST.

So they say anyway. The true impact is yet to be seen come June 9th.

Here is a link to the Uber help page re booking fees:
    https://help.uber.com/h/7f393726-f7ae-4094-84b4-631a7417d57c

Drivers having around 4-5 minimum fares per day (working full time) will see an increase of close to $100 per month as a result of the increase in minimum fare price. Minuscule by any means, yet still an increasing. It's a step in the right direction which would not have happened without our push.

Stay tuned for more to come once the FW Ombudsman kicks into action...

4. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Regarding GST payments. It is best to pay your GST bill weekly and not to wait for the next big bill comes BAS time.

I strongly recommend that if you drive for Uber every week its best to set an automatic reacquiring Bpay weekly payment of about 10% of your weekly earnings to the ATO. That way comes BAS time you will owe no money and may even get a small refund after you report all your GST credits.

You must have an ATO Bpay reference number in order to set such automatic weekly payment.

HumungousDill likes this.
  5. It's a scam

It's a scam New Member

Righto, I stand corrected

HumungousDill and Uberx zoom like this.