1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Message from Uber today

Discussion in 'Sydney | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Nickname, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Nickname

Nickname New Member

Just wondering if everyone received this message when they logged on today. Looks like Uber are charging us drivers a couple of more percent on each pick up.

Attached Files:

skyco likes this.
  2. skyco

skyco Active Member

Everyone received this, country wide.

Uber will now collect GST on the commission it collect from drivers which do not wish to upload an ABN number. Driver can later claim this charge as input credit when doing their BAS statements.

It's business as usual (no change in commission) for drivers who upload an ABN number.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. I received the message. I believe Skyco is not correct - its actually about increasing UBER's commission 2,5%. GST is a separate issue altogether.

4. skyco

skyco Active Member

Read the message carefully @Alex Barski , it says there clearly that if you upload your ABN number to Uber then it is business as usual. You will not be charged the extra 2% in commission.

10% GST on 20% commision = +2%
    10% GST on 25% commision = +2.5% (but they've rounded that one to 2% to keep it simple)

The new laws forcing foreign companies (Uber, Google, eBay etc) mean that they must now collect and pay 10% GST on goods and services they provide in Australia regardless of their country of origin. The commission that Uber charge us is a 'service provided by Uber' and as such attracts 10% GST now.

5. Apologies, Skyco is correct. The message from UBER was not clear enough to me, but UBER just confirmed to me directly that, in my case, the commission remains 25% as I am registered for GST and ABN. While this is good news, the end pay from UBER, (i.e hourly rate) after all of the deductions, etc, etc, and considering the time we are sitting idle waiting for a job to come, is not satisfactory.

6. skyco

skyco Active Member

I could not agree more mate.