1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Tipping

Discussion in 'Melbourne | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Uberian2701, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Uberian2701

Uberian2701 New Member

According to a news blog this morning Uber is now introducing tipping in its app for certain cities with a gradual rollout throughout the USA over the coming months.
    Hopefully that will eventuate here in Australia sooner rather than later.

I asked Uber about this and the following is the reply I received:-

Thanks for reaching out to us.

I do understand that you want to know when will Uber introduce Tipping in Australia.

Uber does not ask or expect riders to tip. In most cities, when you arrive at a rider's destination and end the trip, the fare is automatically charged to the rider’s account. Tips and gratuities are not included in trip fares.

Any cash gratuity offered by a rider is voluntary. If a rider wishes to tip you, please feel free to accept.

Feedback like yours is crucial for us to continue improving the Uber experience. These changes may not happen overnight, but we are working hard to make sure we connect partners and riders seamlessly.

Left me hanging like a bit of chewed string....

Further to the above and in response to my response to them I have received the following:-

"We understand that tipping is a practice that inspires service providers to do more.

While tipping--which in general is a good practice--is a feature available for Uber USA, what works well in one place cannot be immediately ruled out to also work well in another.

We need to take into account a lot of factors. Just to state an example, in Uber cities where the use of credit cards is not too popular, cash payments are accepted. As you know, such is not an option in Australia.

These different approaches are our way to adapt to the cities we help move people around.

We see here that you have at least 11,000 trips already and we are thankful to have productive driver-partners like you. In due time, we wish to explore and formulate more ways to maintain and develop incentive programs that will reflect our appreciation of driver-partners."

At least they haven't said a blatant NO....

Cold Gin and Uberx zoom like this.
  2. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

According to this article the tipping feature may be available in Australia around the end of the year.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology...-appease-unhappy-drivers-20170620-gwv8by.html

Cold Gin likes this.
  3. Uberian2701

Uberian2701 New Member

News just in...Travis Kalanick has resigned completely in response to demands from investors.
    With this good news in mind perhaps we will have tipping within Australia by the end of the year. Although I don't understand how the app can't be adjusted sooner, surely it isn't that too difficult a task.
    Certainly it's good news that the infestation at the top of the tree has been removed. Perhaps things will now change for drivers for the better.

Cold Gin likes this.
  4. Uberian2701

Uberian2701 New Member