1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Using driver app whilst driving

Discussion in 'Sydney | Uber Drivers Forum' started by Roy Cladingboel, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Hi all,
    Only very fresh to Uber driving, but I am having a ball. It has created a perfect lifestyle balance for me.

Anyway....my major concern is accepting a trip whilst you are driving!!
    As we all know you can't just stop the car, so what do you do (dont need to get stung this time of year)?

I contacted support and they said "oh no there is nothing like that". To me this seems crazy...

Hope to get your thoughts and tips!!

Roy.

2. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Hi Roy,

Lets be honest, it is impossible to drive an Uber without having to touch the phone often. The phone is your sat nav and dispatch device and must be used on the go, just like taxis have thier own electronic dispatcher and allowed to use it while driving, during a shift.

Tapping to pick a job is OK, texting or emailing while driving is definitely not.

Make sure the phone is placed in a holder in a convenient easy to reach place, close to you.

Check magnetic phone holders. You can position the holder on the air vent or on the dashboard. Try on right hand side of the steering wheel just under the driver window line, i found this location to be most convenient.

I hope this helps.
    Max

P.S.
    If you are stopped by police while touching the phone on a shift (doing work related accept/cancel/decline tapping) tell the policeman you are an Uber driver and show your certification, most will accept that and will not issue you with a fine.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  3. Edward Rolfe

Edward Rolfe New Member

Good folks:

I am presently going thorough an issue elating to use of mobile phone whilst driving (it was in a legally acceptable cradle, and I simply touched the screen to answer a call), and I thought it may be of use to others if I shared the following link:

https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2014/758/part18/div1/rule300

The key part of this legislation is as follows:

300 Use of mobile phones
    (1) The driver of a vehicle must not use a mobile phone while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, unless:
    (a) the phone is being used to make or receive an audio phone call or to perform an audio playing function and the body of the phone:
    (i) is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle while being so used, or

(ii) is not secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle and is not being held by the driver, and the use of the phone does not require the driver, at any time while using it, to press any thing on the body of the phone or to otherwise manipulate any part of the body of the phone, or
    (b) the phone is functioning as a visual display unit that is being used as a driver’s aid and the phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle, or
    (c) the vehicle is an emergency vehicle or a police vehicle, or
    (d) the driver is exempt from this rule under another law of this jurisdiction.

Having confirmed with a NSW Police Officer, at a local police station, the above legislation applying to mobile phones in a commercially designed and manufactured cradle stop at the word 'or' that terminates (1) (a) (i).

As the police officer stated to me; "you are allowed to touch the screen of your mobile, to answer and end calls only, if it is in a cradle that meets the legislation's description/requirement"...

As the 'act' of accepting a fare is the same as accepting/ending call, touching the screen is permissible - and should be defend-able in court, if you get pinged by a nasty cop.

Hope that is of use/help to others here...

Cheers!

Ed.

JacksonMSB and Uberx zoom like this.
  4. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Important to note that the legislation in NSW specificly allow the use of a phone as a dispatch system. Touching the phone (which must be secured in a cradle) to accept a booking falls under these terms and is perfectly leagal.