1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Pick up distance is greater than the trip

Discussion in 'Melbourne | Uber Drivers Forum' started by UberMernda, Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I got a trip which is 15km away from the place where I accepted the ride. Pick up location is in woodstock. Then the hire was just 5km.

I had to drive approximately 20 kilometers to earn 6 AUD. This is a loss for me.

Then I asked from Uber. They have indicated that I have to absorb the loss.

This happenes few times.

Have you experieced such?

2. Tonton

Tonton New Member

Did you accept the ping because you thought the trip would be longer than pickup trip?
    Why did you take such ping in the first place?

eXploitation likes this.
  3. eXploitation

eXploitation Active Member

Thats a horrendous pickup
    At least w/ taxi currently, those long pickups are put on cover screen for your discretionary acceptance
    They will most often show desto
    The other week late in box hill it was comical to see an account job as follows:

Monbulk ➡ Heatherton

The job would be snapped up then after a while the dopey driver would see where Monbulk was on their navigator and then recall the job with the associated penalty

Then another driver would have a go only to throw it back
    Eventually job stayed on screen unmolested

I personally would have hammered this one if it popped up a few nights before when dropping off at Upwey station

The longest chase i ever done was when @ keilor park drive nr the calder for a:

Melton South ➡ City

In middle of the day just peachy:p

4. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

In and around the CBD it is best not to accept pings more than 5 minutes away.

No more than 10-12 minutes away in the suburbs.

Stick to that rule and you should be OK.

5. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Some drivers may be new or live around semi/country areas. Long ping times may be the norm in such areas.

KawanaPete likes this.
  6. But the point here is either Uber must give trip length when they offer a hire
    or
    Uber should give a sort of incentive to cover the loss. Uber takes 25% rather than a subscription. To maintain a good service, It is reasonable to get occasional hires that hsas longer pick up compared to trip distance. Uber should absorb this loss.
    Simply because they own the customer base. not the drivers

7. DriverX

DriverX Active Member

You assume Uber care. They dont and that's the sad truth.

Uber built a global business totally relying on exploiting drivers. Drivers are pawns as far as Uber are concerned. The less information they provide drivers with the better they can control and exploit them.

eXploitation and Cold Gin like this.
  8. Bases Loaded

Bases Loaded Member

Try driving on the Mornington Peninsula! 25 min ping for a 2 minute trip to the shops, or the pub!

skyco likes this.
  9. eXploitation

eXploitation Active Member

Seriously protect your kays
    Even lowly courier drivers need a bare minimum of a dollar ten per every kay they travel for the day to even worry about it
    The influx of visa drivers in that space working for 4 dollar an hour seven eleven style underpay might be giving that sector a shakeup tho

river view and skyco like this.
  10. skyco

skyco Active Member

Desperation and the urgent need to earn a buck can make people do silly things like that and Uber are happy to take advantage of the situation.

Never, and i mean never take a ping more than 12 minutes away without calling the passenger to find out the destination first. File for unfair dismissal with the FWA if Uber happens to deactivate you for making that call. The lowlifes are known to settle fast out of court and you are more likely to make some serious money that way.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    eXploitation and Cold Gin like this.
  11. Bases Loaded

Bases Loaded Member

Related/unrelated

Traveled 12 minutes for a pickup the other day and the rider cancelled the trip as I approached. Of course, I get no cancellation fee for that... Luckily got another one right away.