1. Login to post. This is a public forum, the topics discussed here do not represent RSDU's official view.

Great dashcams range, for Uber, Lyft, Didi and Ola drivers. Click here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Ford Mondeo Diesel 2014 model, TDCi. Rear end humming noise.

Discussion in 'All Car Models' started by coolair, Oct 23, 2017.

1. coolair

coolair Member

Hello

I have a problem with my Mondeo. There is a strange humming noise coming from the back end - especially prominent at 80km/hr. Sounds like someone blowing over an empty bottle.

Took it to a Ford dealer and one of the mechanics went out and heard the noise and reckoned that it could be wheel bearings (76K kilometres) .

In my experience, when a bearing starts to go, the inner or outer race gets a pit in it and this causes a noise - unfortunately, I think they check the bearing by rocking the wheel to see if the bearing is loose - surely you wouldn't be able to check for pitting this way ?!

Any ideas chaps ??

cheers

2. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Worth trying rotating the wheels. Tyres can be quite noisy sometimes.

Replacing the wheel bearings after only 76k doesn't sound right but quite possible. One way to test is to load the boot with some heavy stuff (a small pile of bricks can do) and take the car for a test drive. If you don't hear the same noise after placing a load on the bearings than they may be shot and indeed need a replacement.

3. Dan the man

Dan the man New Member

Hi,

Sounds a lot like an issue I had with our Ford Kuga TDCi (trend) manufactured 11/2013. The noise you described started at about 45,000 kms (most prominent at 80 kms/hr), told Ford about it at a service they brushed it of as road noise from worn tires which I highly doubted. I asked again at 60,000 kms service (was louder this time) they said they couldn’t hear it, by 75,000 kms I had 4 new tires (same as factory fitted) and the noise was still there louder than ever.

I had a mobile mechanic I use for other cars to check out the Kuga and he could definitely hear the noise in the rear left wheel but could not determine if it was wheel bearings without further investigation.

I took it into a different ford dealership for its 75,000 kms service, ask them to investigate and handed them the report from my mobile mechanic. Turns out it was the rear diff failing, the noise was transferring to the rear wheels.

It was under new car warranty so The parts were ordered out of Sydney and it was back at Ford 1 week later for fitting (2 days).

Kuga has done 125,000 kms now with no sign of that noise.

I hope it helps in some way.

coolair likes this.
  4. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well known member (founder)

Hi,

Great to hear you've got the problem sorted @Dan the man. I think the mondeo in this example has a front wheel drive, thus no diff.

Can @coolair confirm?

coolair likes this.
  5. coolair

coolair Member

Front wheels drive. The noise is definitely coming from the back area.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2017